This year was full of success and failures, along with a few unexpected detours.
Here’s a break down of all our 2023 projects!
1. Dining Room Coffee/Wine Bar: in January we sourced maple plywood and solid maple trim from Suwanne Lumber Co. They were a great resource for materials and we also bounced our project ideas back and forth with them!
2. The Garden: We added a garden in 2020. It’s been the best resource of organic fruits and veggies.
This year I wanted to add more beds. As I started to source materials though I realized it was outside of this year’s project budgets to get new containers.
I didn’t let my dream go… I started hunting finds on Facebook Marketplace for filing cabinets. So far we’ve installed 8 of these filing cabinets into our garden layout. And I’m loving the height on them! Makes it super easy to harvest.
3. Abaco House Plans: Through a connection made on Instagram, we hired a small architectural firm called Foundry House.
We are so happy with their willingness to work with our designs and layouts. I think my favorite layout that we went back and forth on and finished was our primary suite.Below you can see my rough design versus our final build plans.
4. Game Room: The old bar had to go! If you sat at the original bar then no one could get past you. They were trapped!
We ripped out the bar and left the built-in. I refreshed the backsplash and paint color. Then installed floating shelves above the new sink area.
So instead of having a bar that traps guests in a corner, the game room is so much easier to navigate.
5. Powder Room Reveal: The guest bath was not on our update list in 2023. Yet it is one of my favorite transformation.
An overflowing toilet damaged the marble tile. So we overhauled the room. We freshened up the paint with Sherwin Williams Jasper. I used the paint both to update the walls and all the furniture in the room. Finished off the look with new lighting and a new mirror.
6. Movie Room Ceiling: Who else is great at starting projects and then leaving them behind? 🙌🏼
We added the projector and seating in 2020. The cabinets back in 2018.
Then in 2022 I tackled the ceiling by trying my hand at a faux wood. The install went up without much trouble but my arms were so tired! So, I left the project behind. I finally finished the stain this year!!
7. Girl’s bathroom: As work was being done to remove the marble tile in the guest bathroom it shook the entire house. To the point that we heard a loud bang.
Turns out it was the largest mirror in our house sliding down the wall. We haven’t revealed the progress fully in this room. Stay tuned in 2024 to see how it turns out. Here is a sneak peek at links to the lighting, mirrors and shades we’ve added.
8. Teen Room: The kids love playing musical bedrooms. So it seems at least once a year we are redoing one of the kid’s rooms. This time it was a transition for our oldest girl.
You can find shopping links here to all the updated decor items she picked!
9. Lighting Updates: I was invited to the Alpharetta home tour last year and seeing all the modern homes and lighting I knew I was ready for a change.
Inspired by photographs of luxury apartments in France, it was easy to choose to add modern furniture and lighting amid our old world trim.
10. New Sump Pump: And one more project for good measure to take us into 2024….
Flooding rains in November revealed water issues as our sump pump and metal tracks were no longer functioning. This project required us to rip out the boys bookshelves and their bay window seat.
We are still in progress on this last one. Trenches are being finished today by Ever Dry Atlanta. We choose to have the pros tackle this update as it comes with a lifetime transferable warranty on any basement water issues.
Rachel Aissen is an award-winning meteorologist,